Saturday, October 17, 2009

Count your blessings...:)

Today has been a LOOONG day....Here's why. So the other day after Alex had been playing over at a friends home(who he had never played with before), Brady went to pick him up and the Mother told Brady that her husband was home sick with the Swine Flu......Ok, seriously? They failed to mention this to Brady before they told Alex to come over and play. So of course, I was furious. And Alex woke up this morning with Diarrhea, then soon after, Olivia was projectile puking! OVER AND OVER AND OVER! I did not know what to do. She never so much as even spits up a little! She also had a fever and really bad diarrhea. After talking to Brady who had spoken with his best friend, who is a Dr. , he told me I needed to take her into the ER.
So at 12:00 pm I took her in. Well, we made it home by 6:30 pm. After they poked and prodded her, did 2 gruelling nasal swabs and tried the put a foley catheter in her to get a urine sample, but couldn't get it in...they found her to be ok! And she was keeping milk down. We get the test results of the swabs back tomorrow.

More importantly, it was what I experienced while I waited the 6 hours in the ER that made me hurry to my computer to journal. I can't even begin to tell you how blessed I feel after being there a SHORT few hours of ONE day. I apologize if I ramble a bit, but I really feel I need to write these things down for ME to remember. While Olivia and I waited in Room number 24, here was what was happening around us. The ambulance brought in a woman age 45 who was unresponsive. As they wheeled her into the room directly across from us, I curiously watched to see what was wrong with her. Her eyes were closed and she was not moving. I heard one of the EMT's say, "We're pretty sure this is a drug over-dose. Probably accidental. Her brother found her passed out on the floor of the bathroom and he is bringing in all of her medications for us to review" My heart stopped for a minute. It was so bizarre. For just a moment I felt like I was looking back at myself several years ago. I text Brady right away and told him the situation and said "She looks like I felt so many times" She couldn't remember what year it was, who the Pres. of the United States was, or even her own name. When her brother arrived I heard him talking out in the hall to the Dr and showing him what pills he though she had taken. Again, I was so sick to my stomach because I knew this could have been me....and HAD been me on several occasions. That case alone made me see how much I value MY life now. I'm sad for this woman and wish I could've done or said something to her to help her. I'm so grateful I am working to be a better person. As a recovering addict, you know recovery is something you ALWAYS have to work at! It will always be a part of you! But I am so happy to be in a much better place now!

In the room next to me, there was a woman who brought in her husband (about 60) with Chest pain. After they did several tests, I actually heard the Dr go in and tell them his prognosis. (I know, the walls are VERY close and very thin there! ...so much for HIPPA!) Anyway, they told him his heart condition had worsened quite a bit and they needed to transport him to IMC for a triple bypass. They were also very worried because there were signs of Sepsis (dangerous infection that can be fatal )..I heard his wife crying in the room as they wheeled him out for more tests. It was all I could do to not go in and give her a hug. I waited in the hall in case she came out and needed someone. I then heard her making several phone calls to all of her children to let them know what was happening. She said this to each one, "Your Dad is strong. He's a fighter. We just need to remember him in our prayers. Don't worry! We are all gonna be just fine! " On the last call she made....I think to maybe her best friend or sister, she broke down sobbing and said, "I'm trying to be so strong for everyone. But it is sooo hard. I had no idea he was this sick!"

I did get to speak with her for just a minute and told her I would be happy to wait there for her daughter who had run down to the cafeteria and would be returning to the room..so she could go quickly with her husband and follow the ambulance to the other hospital. She squeezed my shoulder, started to cry and said, "Thank you, so much".

As we were talking tonight as a family, about what "warm fuzzy's" we did today...(we just started it from the conference talk given by President Monson.) This was mine. I told my kids, I did nothing big, but just helping this woman in one small way, gave me a big "warm fuzzy"

Other patients came in and out as I waited there. There was a woman who almost completely severed her 2 fingers while cutting, a child who dropped something on his foot and required several stitches and one man who drove himself to the hospital because he was having difficulty breathing and ended up having 3 pulmonary embolisms..(blood clots in his lungs....so scary!)
He had no family to call. .....Crazy how much goes on in that place....and how much of it I heard!

So in these short 6 hours that I was there, I found myself over and over counting my blessings! I am truly, sooooo blessed! I have the most amazing family! Happy, healthy kids. Amazing husband who loves me! A sweet and very thoughtful mom who was concerned because her little girl hadn't had lunch or dinner so she showed up with a sack lunch for me! THANKS MOM! :) Lots of great friends, a home, the Gospel and so many more things!
Although I know it would have been very easy to get upset at the nurses or Dr's because of the LONG wait, I found myself sitting peacefully in this quiet room thinking about the wonderful, blessed life I have!

Take 5 minutes today and "Count your blessings" . It's amazing how many things you have to be grateful for when you take the time to acknowledge them!
Thanks to all of you who are in it! I love you all and am blessed to have you!

7 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow! Ok, first I have to say "Why didn't you take Olivia to PCMC?" I could have cather her with my eyes closed. That's what we do best! (I won't take my kids anywhere else.) But it looks like you were fine. Holy cow those walls were thin! Now you know why I don't work in the ER! Too stressful! But being a nurse and working just one day a week serves as a reminder of just how blessed I am to have healthy children, a clean warm home and a husband who would do anything for me and our kids. What a great thing you did for that woman, I love the whole warm fuzzy thing. That is what makes my job great, giving the parents some kind of warm fuzzy as their kids are recovering. Julie, you are such an amazing person. I am so proud to call you my good friend! Love you!

Fritzsche's said...

It feels like forever since I've checked your blog cause Alex and his hand and now the flu. I can't believe that mom even had friends over during that time. Yikes! Anyway I hope everyone is ok now. And what a crazy experience in the ER. I also heard you wanted me to go see This Is It. I'm in whenever but I refuse to join Facebook. I'm sorry. It's just not going to happen.

Heidelweiss said...

What a great post. Thanks so much for sharing. I need to count my blessings more. Way more.

RHETT AND NICHOLE said...

I feel that way a lot. I get overwhelmed Ever sometimes, ok a lot of the times, then I think of some people I know that have lost their children and I think at least she is here, it helps me calm down and be so grateful for what I have. Sorry you went through all that.

Love that top picture, to funny!

Anonymous said...

Your post made me totally cry! Hit close to home. Since my dad went to the ER and had blood clots in his lungs and has been going downhill ever since I'm SO scared that someday I'm going to get a call from my mom from the ER. Moms always have to "act" so strong for their families! Even when they are dying inside. Makes me realize how truly special we are. (my days of being strong with my kids will come) Love this post!:) So sad about the overdose. I think it happens way more then we realize. Wish I could take away every addicts addiction. We truly do have SO much to be blessed for. Even things we don't think about. A few weeks ago I thanked Heavenly Father for our bed ;) and after the prayer Jon said, "Did you just thank him for our bed?" and I was like "Yup! Many people in the world don't have beds!!!" We have SOOOOO much! So glad your kids are ok and that you're a good example to them and applied the atonement in your life! I just love and adore you. Thanks for being a good friend

Anonymous said...

I meant we have so much to be grateful for! Not blessed........

Jen V said...

Alright lady - you made me cry. You are so blessed to have the perspective you have in life right now.
Sometimes we get so caught up in what our agenda that it's hard to see outside of ourselves and our hubs/childrens needs at the moment. I think it is amazing that you are wise enough to realize what is important and to be present.
Thank you so much for the inspiration! XOXO