
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference"
You may or may not be familiar with the "Serenity Prayer", but I have spoken these words many times in the last few years and have come to love and appreciate these simple words written by Reinhold Niebhur.
I've decided to tell my story today in hopes that it may in some way help someone out there who is either suffering from the same "disease" as I was for so long, or for those who in some way have been affected by drugs or alcohol in their family. You may have noticed that I put the word "disease" in quotes.
I found this quote on addiction that puts this horrible disease into better context.
"Addictions are not about will power. The problems facing addicts, alcoholics, and their families are miserable, disgusting, and infuriating. They are often hopelessly discouraging. But to imagine that an addict "could change if he wanted to" is a serious misunderstanding of the long term dynamic of addictive disorder. The fact is precisely that an addict cannot change in the long run even if he wants to! That is the definition of addiction: "the loss of control over the use of a substance." It is important to understand that this loss of control is manifested not in terms of days or weeks, but in longer term behaviors: terms of months and years. "
So here is my story.....Three years ago today, I entered drug rehabilitation for a very serious and extremely ugly 13 year addiction to narcotics and benzodiazepines. I started using when I was 18 and working for a doctor who was pretty much feeding my addiction for me. I did blame him at first, but came to realize that I was the one abusing the drugs and had to take accountability for it! At the time, I thought nothing of it, but every day, it got worse and worse.
At the peak of my addiction, I was taking about 6 different medications and upwards of 50 pills per day. After 13 years of daily drug use, my body had built up massive resistance to all of the drugs! There were several instances that built up to my "rock bottom", I guess you could say. Several black outs, seizures, police involvement and multiple car accidents. Finally, Brady got the courage to tell me that if I didn't get help, he had no other choice than to take the kids and leave. I felt I was "forced" to go into rehab. And figured I would do it just to "get him off my back." One thing you have to realize about addicts is that first of all, all they know how to do is lie and be dishonest about EVERYTHING and also that any problem that arises is some one else's fault....never theirs! But my life had really hit "rock bottom" and I honestly had just come to the conclusion that I was just going to die early..I know, it sounds morbid, but that is exactly how I felt. I was completely hopeless! My sister told me, after I finished rehab, that she had emotionally prepared herself for the "phone call" saying her sister was gone, and that addiction had finally taken my life. I'm so grateful I was able to get help before that actually happened.
My thoughts, honestly, were.."How is 6 weeks of 'counseling' going to cure me of this RAGING addiction that rules every second of my life? " The first day in rehab, I sat in our group circle with a bad attitude and feeling that I was above everyone else there who had a street drug problem or was an alcoholic. That quickly changed. When it came my turn to share, I said, "Hi, my name is Julie, I take a lot of pills, that's why I'm here".. My counselor, Dave, quickly cut me off and said, "Julie, repeat after me,... My name is Julie, and I am an addict!!" I just about dropped on the floor. I didn't even believe it myself. And by the end of the first night there, I realized I was no different than anyone else in there. A drug, is a drug, is a drug!
I wish I could even explain to you what an amazing experience it was to be there for 6 weeks. You learn SOOOO much about yourself and are taught different ways of looking at everything! I really believe that the 12 step program is for EVERYBODY! It helps you really learn more about yourself and be a better person in so many levels! After 6 weeks I was on my way and back into the frightening world of reality. To my surprise, recovering from addiction was hard, but not half as hard as I had imagined. For 13 years, it controlled every second of every day. I woke up first thing in the morning wondering how and where I would get drugs. I had absolutely no time to "enjoy" life. I thought staying clean would be merely impossible! I know that I couldn't have done it without the support of my amazing family! I can't tell you how much it means to have 100% support from your family! It makes all the difference!
There have been people along the way that have passed judgement on me and the decisions that I made for so long, but I have made it a conscious decision to not let them pull me down. The mountain I had to climb to reach 3 years of sobriety has been a very very steep one, but I did it!
Even though this is a pretty long post compared to what I usually do, I feel like I could go on forever! The word "addiction" is a dark and ugly word to most, but to me, I find peace in the fact that I was able to overcome my addiction.. Although, I know full well, that this is not just something you conquer and never have to deal with again, it is a battle I will be fighting every day for the rest of my life!
Going into drug rehabilitation saved my life!! I am so grateful for the counselors there and all of the amazing friends that I made. The saddest part about recovering from addiction is that statistics say that 97% of people who enter rehab for the first time will relapse within the first year. Sadly, that was the case in our group. We had 29 people, and there are just 2 of us that have managed to stay clean and sober for 3 years. My heart and my prayers go out to those who became such good friends of mine in the program! I hope and pray that they will be able to find sobriety again and live the life that I know they all deserve! I love and miss you all!
I love my life now! I can't believe what I missed out on for so long! I am extremely sad that I don't have all of the memories of the past 13 years that I should have, but am so excited that for the last 3 years I have been able to see the world more clearly and enjoy life..."drug free"...every day!
Thanks for letting me share! I needed to do this for me! And also anyone out there that may either be suffering from addiction or know someone who is. So here is my soapbox......
If you know anyone who you think may be suffering from addiction, PLEASE get them help! I truly believe it is all up to the loved ones of the addicts to get them help! An addict will never get it for themselves! Most of the time, they can't even acknowledge they have a problem! But it will save their life! If Brady didn't finally put his foot down and take control of the situation, I would still be out doing what I had done for the past 13 years. Or very possibly would not be here at all!
To my family, I love you so much! Mom and Dad, thanks for praying for me. My mom told me after I had been clean for a year that she had never felt so hopeless as she did during my addiction. She said when there was nothing else they could do, they prayed for me! I know the prayers of my parents and everyone else around me are what have gotten me here today!
Brady, I owe you my life! I know that my addiction affected you the most and I love you so much for sticking with me through even the very worst of times!
If any of you know anyone who is struggling with addiction, here is a link to an addiction help-line!
http://www.addictionsearch.com/treatment/UT/city/salt-lake-city.html
Thanks to all of you for helping make my "new life" a very happy one!





24 comments:
I love you Julie. You are so honest. You are such a fun friend and you have such a warmth about you. Congratulations on making it to 3 years of sobriety. That is amazing. I think I told you my brother just stayed in an alcohol rehab facility for 4 months. He finished in August and so far so good. As a family member, you do feel very helpless among other not so pretty emotions as you have to sit by and watch you loved one kill themselves with alcohol.
Thank you for such a beautiful post. You are an amazing person! And I am a better person for knowing you.
Julie that brought me to tears. I am so grateful you wrote about your addiction and more importantly your recovery. It takes an amazing person to get through a drug addiction. I think we all either know someone or have been through it ourselves. I watched my brother go through rehab and watched him suffer and that totally changed my out look on addicts. We're all people living in a BIG world with lots of challenges. But CONGRATULATIONS and WAY TO GO! Writing that post is a very honorable and caring thing to do for others. Thank you for reminding me again how precious life is.
I am very proud and amazed at you, Julie. You are strong, honest and very brave to get the help you needed. Congratulations and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" you big three year old you!!!
I think the world of you for sharing your experience and helping so many others through that process.
Here's to many years ahead with your beautiful family!!
p.s.
Birthday lunch next week!
Julie, your story is so inspiring. Thanks for sharing. You seem to have it all together so well. I never would have guessed that there was a time when you didn't. I come from a family full of addicts and it's so sad to see how it affects everyone. It's truly a horrible disease. It's a big deal that you've made it three years!! I think you're amazing.
Julie- thanks so much for sharing your story. That's awesome how far you have come. It must have been so hard. It sounds like you have an amazing family that loves and supports you. I am so glad that I know you!
Addiction is such a hush hush topic, at least around my house. I have as sister that you could say is addicted to an addict. I see the heartache she deals with, but I also see a level of love that is deep rooted and unconditional. It shows so much courage for sharing your story with so many of us that had no idea. It just goes to show that so many of us struggle with things that we just don't talk about and discuss. You’re not alone! Thanks for sharing your story and a great big huge congratulations for 3 years! That is huge! Keep on keepin' on!
WOW, that was a great story, thank you for sharing! It brought me to tears as well. Scott last his dad last year to addiction and it was hard. He tried so many times to quit, but just could not do it. I know from that experience and a few others how hard it is to "kick" any addiction habit---so GOOD FOR YOU for being strong enough t do it!
Seriously, thank you so so much for sharing your story! It really helps out more people than you may even know! I've had more than a couple people in my family deal with drug addictions, and it's hard to face the reality that you are addicted and you need help. So, good for you for fighting and overcoming! Congrats!!
I am so very proud of you Julie! You were very brave to have put yourself out there like that. I too have seen addiction and know what it can do to a family and how it can change a person completely. God gives us temptations and when we choose to take them we deal with the consequences and its the people that can get themselves back on top and be a stronger better person that has real strength! You are a very strong and wonderful person and I know you will have many more years to enjoy clean and happy! Congrats!!
Pulsie
I hope you don't mind...I posted a link on my blog for people to read this entry. It is so wonderful and so inspiring!! Thank you so much for sharing your story! Hey, keep it on here for a little bit, so more people can read it!
Hi there. I am a friend of your sister, Kristin, and read your story through a link she had on her blog. I just want to say that I think you are amazing! Thanks for having the courage to share your story with others.
Julie, your amazing. Congratulations on 3 years. Thank you for sharing your story. It touched my heart and made me cry. I think you are an incredible person. Larger than life. I feel so lucky to have gotten to know you better through blogging, FB, and running into each other throughout Herriman. Brady and the kids are so lucky to have you in their lives. Your example will make them stronger. I also feel I am a better person for knowing you.
Well you already know how incredibly fantastic I think you are! Not only am I so excited for your three year mark, but I'm so excited that you'll be bringing a sweet new spirit into this world with a fresh start! What an amazing turn about. Thanks for being such a great friend. How much I would have missed out on without you in my life.-Em
Thanks for sharing your story! I have to mention some of my favorite parts about this story. (as I'm totally crying!) First of all, isn't the Lord AMAZING?! The atonement is so real. It's awesome that you truly applied it to your life and because of that you are 3 years clean. You believed in yourself. You believed AND trusted in the Lord. Not only that, but you forgave yourself! I think that is one of the hardest parts is forgiving ourselves. Second, what an amazing husband you have! He stood by your side and believed in you. He too believed in the atonement and knew that you could and WOULD be forgiven! What an amazing man! Third, You're amazing! I know the stats of people staying clean and they aren't good. You've done amazingly well. I love that you recognize that this is something to work on forever. Satan would have one think that they have "mastered" their weakness and then slowly and silently he will re-introduce it. So good for you for recognizing this!
I love your story :) For some reason I either attracted or was attracted to guys that loved their drugs. I've seen it ruin their lives....and mine until I finally realized I couldn't change them. It's so true that "drugs" hurt SO many people. Not just the user, but the ones that love them.
I love happy stories. I love knowing that your family was so good to you. I think you had more prayers said for you then you can ever even imagine! I just wish more people would realize their worth and trust in the Lord that they CAN change. Anything is possible through the help of God! Sorry for the novel!!! But I just feel like we are best friends! and best friends talk for hours ;) j/k Congrats Julie! I'm so happy for you and your family!.......looks like I'm def NOT a best friend. It seems from reading other posts, I missed your b-day. HAPPY BELATED!
I'm sure that wasn't easy to post but THANK YOU. As I cried through the whole thing I realized this is an issue that hits close to home for me with people in my family..I am so proud of you that you were able to beat the odds and what a great family you have..your cute mom who didn't even know me gave me a hug when she found out I was prego! I was so impressed and I am also amazed at what and AWESOME husband you have to stick by your side and help you get through this. We think the world of your family..thanks for sharing!!
Oh and I love all the scents even the eucalyptus..Yay for scentsy:) THANKS!
Way to go Julie! Congratulations on your 3 years!...Thank you for sharing such a personal story!...you are such a great example to me!..Love Brooke
Julie~ You have an amazing story.. The hard work you've put into your life in the last three years is inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm touched by your hard work and by your honesty.
Hey Jules! Thanks for sharing this! I admire you much. I've wondered how you were doing as it's been so long since we've seen each other, and I am so grateful to read this! You are an inspiration to me! I've loved coming to your blog often and feeling close to you again! I miss you! Congratulations!!!!
I am so proud of you for making it three years and writing about it. We should have went to lunch again to celebrate. It's hard to imagine what you went through unless you have been there but I too have seen addiction affect people close to me and it truly is a disease. I'm so glad that you were able to change your life around and be who you are today because I think you are amazing. Can't wait to celebrate year 4.
I have not seen you since HS and we really were not friends....yet I found myself very humbled and emotional reading your story. How very blessed you are to have a loving supportive family that stood by you and loved you! I'm sure it took a lot of courage to post your story and just imagine how many people you have inspired and touched! Congratulations on 3 yrs. what a amazing accomplishment and great example you are to your beautiful children! Take Care
Julie,
What an amazing story. Kris I love you to death! You do have an incredible husband and kids and I am so glad your hard work paid off. I just wish you guys would move back to Draper so we could see more of ya!
Mark
Julse-
I HAVE to add to the "Julie Edwards Fan Club"! You are SO AMAZING! You are such a wonderful and dynamic person. You can do it all - and you do it so well. I know it was hard for you to admit to your addiction, it was for us too (your friends). But I am SO PROUD of you - for so many reasons - but mostly for humbling yourself and getting help. I am grateful you have such a great husband. Brady IS awesome. And McKaylee... what a trooper - & Brinlee too. They are such great kids. Anyhow, I am glad those days are long gone and you are back to the same old, old Julie. (Not that you are old, but you are like the Julie before the addiction.) I love you girl and I would do anything for you. Congrats on 3 yrs. I'll be looking forward to your 4 yr. Love ya forever!
Wow Julie, thank you so much for sharing your story. I had no idea. I cannot imagine how hard that was for you, but I am so impressed that you would share. You are such a strong person and someone I have always looked up too. I cannot imagine how hard that would be to overcome, but I am so glad that you have overcome your addiction and that you are well.
Post a Comment